It’s well known that food waste is one of the most damaging things to our planet today. But these facts will highlight how important it is that we act immediately to make a change.
1. Rescuing one meal with Bring Me Home can offset enough greenhouse emissions to power a house for over an hour!
2. 8 percent of greenhouse gases heating the earth are caused by food waste.
3. Throwing away one burger wastes the same amount of water as having a 90-minute shower. In fact, up to 25 percent of the world’s fresh water supply is used to grow food which is never eaten.
4. All the food wasted in Australia could fill a line of garbage trucks from Melbourne to New Zealand and back!
5. Up to 40 percent of fruit and vegetables are rejected from supermarkets simply because they don’t look good. 50 percent of all fruits and vegetables grown are wasted.
6. If food waste were a country it would be the third biggest greenhouse gas producer after the US and China.
7. An area larger than Australia is used to grow food which never gets eaten.
8. The nearly one billion people who go hungry each year can be fed on less than a quarter of the food wasted in Europe and the US.
9. Over one third of the food produced globally is wasted — over one billion tonnes and one trillion dollars’ worth.
10. There is enough food produced in the world to feed everyone and end malnutrition in developing countries.